Monday, September 1, 2008

Hi everyone!

So here are some pics of my time here in Panama. Hope you enjoy! I'm adjusting better and better everyday and I will let you know that I am slowly but surely becoming a better packer than I have ever been. I traveled to another community in Panama for 4 days with nothing but a backpack. For those of of you who are familiar with my packing strategies, you know that it was a small step for mankind but a HUGE one for me. I'm learning more and more about the culture and definitely practicing my spanish but each time I learn a new Panamanian word, I think to myself that all my spanish speaking family and friends are going to laugh when I come back with this vocab! Start preparing, guys!
I love you and miss you all. Enjoy the pics and please keep me updated on your lives back home! Just bc I'm out of the country doesn´t mean I don't think about y'all all the time!
Chao, pues.

This is the house that I live in with my host family (above). The grass is called grama. There are dirt spots because people dig it up and sell it. I makes for a pretty bumpy/hilly walk to the house.




This is the view from my front porch (above). The thatch roof is called a rancho. These neighbors have a hammock hanging under there. Check out the rain clouds in the back. It rains everyday.

This is what packing for 2 years looks like! I actually managed! (above)

(above) We hiked to a waterfall in our community. As you can tell, living in Panama has resulted to me wearing glasses all over again. Feels just like 7th grade again ;)





This is a couple of us with kids from a youth cooperative (above). We took them to a national park where they learned about conservation and protecting the environment. We hiked up to this place where you can see both the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans. Here is a shot of one the oceans, not sure which one but beautiful anyway (below). You can see where its raining.



(above) Don't worry, this tarantula was a lot bigger in real life than in actually looks in the picture. I took this pic just seconds before a Panamanian hacked it to pieces with his machete.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

OMG! We talked to Bill and he told us about the mountain you climbed with the two oceans by side --amazing experience Dor. Gosh part of me wishes I could also feel such a humbling experience sometime, but this takes much courage and I'm not that brave :-p

We love you very much, and I so so miss you when I run. FYI I'm doing 7 miles this wknd and my running buddy had some ankle injury thing (patella something) and had to drop out :-(. Nonetheless, this provides me with an opportunity to get to know lots of new people until I find another "buddy."

Oh, and don't forget we want to come visit. Since we have Hawaii and Shang Hai in 2009, we might not go to Panama til 2010 --but we'll make it for sure.

Abrazos y besos,
-Vicky and Gene

Unknown said...

Hey cool pics Dor...How is your host family?

Vickie Peacock said...

Great to hear you are doing well. I am so very proud of you. Keep us posted and I will keep in touch. I quit my job today and am trying to go back to HAL will keep you posted. Take Care and I will see if I can get Abs to take a trip with me. Time will pass before you know it.
Love Ya, Vickie

Perla said...

wow!. This are great picture of Panama. It is awesome that you are having such a great experience. We love you & miss you bunches!

Perla & Tony

Lisa said...

that packing job made my jaw drop!