Thursday, January 15, 2009

Things are starting to look up.

Hello there fans. This blog entry will not be anything close to what I want to post since my time is severely limited but to give you a quick update. I am doing absolutely fabulous. For the first time in over 5 months, I am genuinely glad to be here and feel like I am getting the Peace Corps experience that I wanted. I live in a community of about 500 people. I have to walk a lot on many hills, I have some great mountain views, the people are really great (meaning nice and open), and for being in site for a little under 3 weeks, I already feel so much better than I did at my old place.

My new host family consists of an elderly couple with their 3 adult children living at home. The surrounding 15 to 20 houses are also family relatives so that makes it really easy to meet a lot of other people. I actually have my own room in the house which is amazing. The house is made of mud up to about 3 feet then wood boards the rest of the way and of course the typical zinc roof. I will have to post pictures later. This is also the first time in my life that I live without a refrigerator which surprisingly isn´t that big of a deal but when I get my own place in March, I hope to have one for myself. The water situation is pretty much the same as my old site. There is one faucet outside of the house and the water comes once a day in the morning so when it actually comes, we fill buckets with water and use that for everything we need during that day.

My mom sent me some bingo cards so I have started to play with the kids who now use rocks to mark their cards after first attempting to use dry corn kernels but getting tired of the chickens sabotaging our games trying to eat the bingo markers! I´m in the process of making some bingo cards to help teach the kids english vocab before they go back to school.

I have to go now but I want to let you know that I am going to start a segment on my blog called Peace Corps Lifestyle Moments where I will descriptively talk about various experiences that I have gone through as a Peace Corps volunteer. It´ll be great, look forward to it. So long for now my friends. Please note the new cell phone number on the left side of the screen.

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

What? I was sure there would be something about your big "E"...I mean it did happen in Panama? Fill your readers in!!