Monday, December 1, 2008

Thanksgiving Peace Corps Style :)

So much to everyone´s surprise, we didn´t have to chase a turkey down in the yard to kill it for our Thanksgiving dinner :)

Depending in how big of a city you are in (and how many foreigners are in the area), the bigger local grocery stores have many things you wouldn´t expect to find in Panama around Thanksgiving time since they don´t celebrate it here and some people even asked me if our ¨Dia de Gracias¨ was like their Christmas... which I kindly explained that it wasn´t.

So I traveled to another city to hang out with friends that I hadn´t seen a month or so and this was the fabululous result. We had a great turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, cranberry sauce, salad, sweet potatoes, wine... it was great. It was almost as great as it would´ve been had I been with my family but definitely one for the memory books.

It was great to be with other Americans celebrating our yearly tradition. Much thanks to Fred (far right in the photo above) who basically cooked everything even down to homemade pumpkin pie! Happy Thanksgiving from Peace Corps Panama!

No comments: